Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pencils and Environments

My goal is to finish 40 pages be the end of the year. That will be half of Book Two - finished. Am I there yet? No. But I'm close! I am currently penciling page 36. Those are just the pencils though...not the inking, the scanning, the halftoning, the lettering. The goal is a challenge. Even if I don't meet it...I know I tried as had as I could.


















One of the reasons these latest pages are taking a little longer is...environment. I'm focusing on fleshing out the characters environments or the sets they live in. This is somewhat of a challenge for me...as I am much more interested in character interaction and expression. It's so easy to fill each panel with talking heads because it's fun to draw wild, emotional expressions. In these pages though I've included set designs for the Pineville garage/gas station, library and courtyard.


















The library "set" was the most challenging. I knew going into these pages I would be using this environment in multiple points of the story. This is when I decided to utilize the program Google SketchUp. This program allows you to create 3D shapes and view them from any angle. So, I decided to create the basic shapes of my library in SketchUp allowing me to view it from any character's perspective, allowing me as the story's "director" to frame any panel with ease! I've been really thrilled and would highly recommend the tool and the resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment